AURA Treasurer and Executive Board Member
AURA is a Canadian charitable organization assisting in the sponsorship and resettlement of
refugees. We represent the Anglican Diocese of Toronto and the Toronto Conference of the
United Church of Canada as a Sponsorship Agreement Holder with Citizenship and Immigration
Canada. Refugees are the beneficiaries of AURA's efforts.
AURA is looking for a Treasurer and Executive Board Member wishing to make a key
contribution to a small charitable organization that operates as a major player in refugee
Please see our website for more information on AURA: www.auraforrefugees.org
• Reviews the quarterly financial statements (balance sheet, income statement and forecast, prepared by AURA staff) and presents results to the Board.
• Working with the Fundraising Committee and AURA staff, prepares the annual budget for Board approval.
• Reviews and approves monthly account reconciliation prepared by AURA staff.
• Provides ongoing oversight over transactions and account balances, including credit card use and “special case” funds.
• Reviews and approves disbursements to sponsoring groups for the resettlement of refugees.
• Provides the Board and AURA staff with accounting guidance on topics such as recording complex transactions and the fair and accurate presentation of financial statements.
• Oversees the completion of the annual audit, including correspondence with auditors, review of the annual audited financial statements and ensuring timely submission of annual CRA filings (completed by auditors).
• Leads the Finance Board Committee.
• Regularly attends monthly board meetings and important related meetings.
• Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
• Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
• Participates in fundraising for the organization, including a meaningful personal donation.
Desirable attributes and skills:
• Designated accountant (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA).
• Previous experience in the compilation of financial statements, budgets, completing financial
statement audits or bookkeeping experience preferred.
• Previous experience with Not For Profit accounting standards preferred but not required.
• The ability to work with small teams - the AURA staff and Board of Directors.
• The ability to work alone i.e. to take on and complete work between meetings.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Previous non-profit board experience preferred.
• Knowledge of foundation/ business community and/ or the refugee settlement
Time commitment required:
• This work is largely based on the individual's initiative and commitment but is expected to be approximately 4 to 6 hours per month.
What we offer:
• A hands-on chance to make a real impact with a small, overachieving charitable
• An opportunity to use and grow your professional skills.
How to Apply:
• Please submit your letter of interest and resume to:
Nadia Heyd - AURA Board Chair