1. ImmunizationGovernment of Canada: Information on vaccinations in several languages
Centre for Disease Control (USA):Vaccine- specific information in various languages. http://www.immunize.org/vis/vis_english.asp
Not just for kids: An adult guide to vaccination
2. Health CentresCommunity Health Centres (CHCs) are non-profit organizations that provide primary health and health promotion programs for individuals, families and communities. They are especially well equipped to serve newcomers and we highly recommend you facilitate registration for the newcomers you support.
Association of Ontario Health Centres provides information about hundreds of community-governed health care organizations.
3. Women's College Hospital: Crossroads Clinic:Toronto’s first hospital-based refugee health clinic. They offer care for the first few years then match refugee newcomers with a family doctor.
Women's College Hospital: Syrian Refugee Medical Clinic https://www.womenscollegehospital.ca/programs-and-services/crossroads-clinic/Syrian-Refugee-Medical-Clinic
4. Ontario Health Insurance Plan: OHIPOHIP: How to Apply
OHIP: Registration Form
OHIP: Document List
3-month Waiting Period Exemption: Resettled refugees are exempt from the 3-month waiting period other new residents face for OHIP coverage. See the Health Insurance Act, (R.S.O. 1990, c. H.6) Section 6.3. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900552
5. ServiceOntario locations, hours and contacthttps://www.ontario.ca/page/serviceontario-locations-hours-and-contact
6. Interim Federal Health Program: IFHPIFHP: Summary of coverage
IFHP: Search service providers
IFHP: Benefit Grid
IFHP: Dental Benefit Grid
A few sponsor-recommended places in Toronto that accept IFHP:
Lunsky Optometry: Eye Exams and Glasses (College and Bathurst) http://www.lunskyoptometry.com/
Holistic Medical Clinic: Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation (West Toronto) http://holisticmedclinic.ca/
Please send us more!
7. Mental HealthCanadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)'s New Beginnings Clinic offers psychiatric consulting, care provider consulting and culturally sensitive interventions to newly arrived refugees. https://www.camh.ca/en/your-care/programs-and-services/new-beginnings-clinic-for-refugees
The Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture (CCVT): A community-based organization that helps victims of torture, war, genocide and crimes against humanity.
The Immigrant and Refugee Mental Health Project offers online training, tools and resources to settlement, social and health service professionals working with immigrants and refugees. While sponsors are not expected to act as professionals, this information is helpful for anyone supporting refugee newcomers.
Madison Community Services - Recovery during Immigration and Settlement (RISE) Program: Their objective is to help newcomers make informed decisions about their settlement and better understand life in Canada.
Children's Mental Health: Youth and Family Care Centers provides information about hundreds of centers across Ontario that target prevention, early intervention, short- and long-term counselling and therapy and more, serving children ages 0-18.
SickKids Centre for Community Mental Health (CCMH) provides a variety of mental health assessment and treatment services for infants, children and youth, aged birth up to 18 years, and their families.
8. DentalHealthy Smiles Ontario: A government-funded dental program that provides free preventive, routine, and emergency dental services for eligible children 17 and under.
University of Toronto: Faculty of Dentistry Clinics offer (more) affordable, high-quality dental care.