There are more than 65 million displaced people in the world, the very most in need can be sponsored through AURA. Our main objective is the promotion and management of the Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) program. This unique program allows Canadians to provide a new home for refugees once they arrive in Canada. Organizing a private sponsorship takes time and refugee sponsors have numerous responsibilities throughout the term of the refugee sponsorship.
Some of the most common ways refugee sponsors support newcomers throughout their first year in Canada is by:
• Providing the cost of food, rent and household utilities and other day-to-day living expenses;
• Providing clothing, furniture and other household goods;
• Locating interpreters;
• Selecting a family physician and dentist;
• Assisting with applying for provincial health-care coverage;
• Enrolling children in school and adults in language training;
• Introducing newcomers to people with similar personal interests;
• Providing orientation to daily activities like: banking, transportation, shopping etc.;
• Helping in the search for employment.
If you would like to find out more about how you can become a refugee sponsor and how personally help refugees, please use the following links:
Download our Factsheet: Refugee Sponsorship: An Overview
AURA Training and Workshops