• Issued to newcomers in the form of 1 paper document per person.
• Sponsors must explain the importance of the SIN, it’s purpose, when they will need to share it, and when not to share it. It is their responsibility to protect their SIN.
How to Apply
• Newcomers will likely receive their SIN at the airport, and therefore no application will be required. If the SIN is not received upon arrival, an in-person application at a Service Canada Centre is required. There is no fee to apply for a SIN.
Find a Service Canada Centre by clicking here.
• It is not necessary to complete a form if you apply in-person at a Service Canada Centre.
• Applicants will need to provide their original Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport/ travel document (photocopies are not accepted).
For more information:
Visit the Service Canada Website Or you can phone Service Canada: 1 800-622-6232